Kicking off the show we have bangers “Thunder in My Heart” by Meck featuring Leo Sayer and “Don’t Stop the Music” by Rhianna. Call us old fashioned, but that’s how you start a radio show on a reasonable Saturday afternoon!
What’s the biggest thing we have done in this week? Well, Shannon has been having a very chilled week and has been playing a lot of Guitar Hero Live! She recently got their latest game with the new guitar and she is loving it... even though she is pretty bad at it right now! There has been a lot of lovely summer weather this week and Chloe went to the beach... on the day it rained! But her and her doggo had a lot of fun regardless. DJ EJ bought himself a new Marvel doormat this week1 He loves his superheroes! And finally it hasn’t been a very nice week for our Lamsie as he has been poorly! Although it hasn’t been all bad as he has the week off work – which in this week’s heat has been a godsend! Every cloud eh!
Celebrity I Unspy!
The silly little quiz that’s got Newport in a tizz! Lamsie thinks he’s seen someone famous wandering the streets of Newport, but he doesn’t because no one famous ever comes here! But nonetheless he’s excited to tell us so he turns it into a little game – it’s basically Guess Who for the radio! Don’t worry – we get to ask loads of questions! It’s okay – we have 60 seconds! This week’s clue is the initials RW - GO!
Chloe – Is it a man? YES!
DJ EJ – Does he wear jeans? YES!
Chloe – Has he got children! YES!
DJ EJ – Has he been on TV! YES!
Chloe – Is he a singer? YES!
DJ EJ – Does he drive? YES!
Chloe – Has he had any concerts recently? YES!
DJ EJ – Does he go to school? NO!
Summary – Initials RW cheeky chappy, singer who has been on TV and played concerts recently – even at the Principality Stadium, been part of a charity single, is also a member of a band, but not really. It is...
Time for the Extreme Track – the song that shouldn’t be played on the radio but we play it anyway! Now we have 3 cheesy tracks on the show to get stuck in your head! Our first 80’s track is a super cheesy ABBA track “Super Trooper”. From the 90’s we have another cheesy one from B*witched with “C’est La Vie”. And finally from the year 2002 we have rock classic “How You Remind Me” by Nickelback. Definitely 3 tracks that do not belong on this show!
DJ EJ’s Summer Soul Selection!
DJ EJ is back with his brand new Summer Soul Selection, getting us in that summery mood. This week we have a few mashups and first up we have “Set Adrift on Memory Bliss” by PM Dawm vs Spandau Ballet mixing up classic Spandau track “True”. Next we have another mashup with “Ghetto Superstar” by Pras featuring Mya mixing up a twist on “Island’s in the Stream” in that chorus! And finally we have “Get Down” by Glen Chandler.
We have 2 brand new Retrospective’s from our Denise where she explores the classic Crash Bandicoot 2 – Cortex Strikes Back and Crash Bandicoot 3 - Warped video games. If you love your gaming like a lot of our team does, you should definitely check these out! We have a blog post about the latest tragedy at the Grenfell Tower and how is has effected people across the country by our Mark and Debs which is worth the read. There is a Doctor Who series finale predictions blog ahead of the last 2 episodes! Is Missy really Missy? Why is John Simm back and how have they written him back in the show? Will the Doctor regenerate? Find out what Terry thinks of all this! We also have a blog about next week’s upcoming Maindee Festival telling you all you need to know about the event!
On the show this week we had local musician Pete Pork with us chatting all things music, Maindee Festival as well as performing some music for us live on air! Pete told us that he has alway been into music and that the first instrument that he ever learned to play was the clarinette! He soon switched to guitar though by the time he was in high school, but his music fizzled out for years until after he had his kids and starting going to open mic nights!
One of the songs he performed for us was a very personal song for his as he wrote it after the death of his grandfather – it is called “Not Far Away” and he told us that the inspiration for it came from when he was trying to write a song in his man shed for his grandparents. He said he was struggling to write but then he saw grandparents and the song fell into place because it was liek they were telling him that they were not far away.
Pete Pork is going to be performing on Newport City Radio’s main stage at Maindee Festival next weekend so make sure you come along to hear his performance!
25 Years of DJ Lamsie!
This is the part of the show where we go back in time – all the way back to 2002 where we celebrate our Lamsie’s 25 year long career as a DJ! We take you back with some 2002 bangers and Shannon, first-time presenter Bethan and Lamsie dish out some facts about the year! Here are the throwback tunes we played! A mix bag of nostalgic tunes, classic noughties bangers and a slight bit if cheese...
- “Like I love You” – Justin Timberlake
- “The Ketchup Song” – Las Ketchup
- “Lazy” – X-Press 2 featuring David Byrne
- “Feel” – Robbie Williams
- “No More Drama” – Mary J Blige
- “What I Go To School For” – Busted
- “Flowers in the Window” – Travis
- “Got To Have Your Love” – Liberty X
- “Round Round” – Sugarbabes
- “Complicated” – Avril Lavigne
Facts of 2002!
- Year of film sequels – Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Star Wars Episode 2, Men in Black 2, Spy Kids 2, Stuart Little 2 and Blade 2 were released this year
- Spider-Man is the first film to make $100+ million during its opening weekend in the US
- BBC One airs the first Sport Relief telethon, the event raising money for charity
- The first series of I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here! begins on ITV
- The BBC and Crown Castle announce their new digital terrestrial television service will be named Freeview and is launched on October 30th
- Popstars: The Rivals debuts on ITV. The show will create two rival groups (one male and one female) who will compete against each other for the Christmas Number One spot on the UK Singles Chart
- Gareth Gates's interpretation of "Unchained Melody" is voted the 2002 Record of the Year by ITV viewers
- Kelly Clarkson was crowned the first winner of the television talent contest, American Idol
- Nickelback leaves the stage during the second song of their performance at a festival in Portugal after being relentlessly pelted with rocks and bottles by the crowd
- Girls Aloud’s debut single “Sound of the Underground” reaches the number 1 spot making it the Christmas number 1
- The Euro is officially introduced in the Eurozone countries
- Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom celebrates her Golden Jubilee, marking 50 years since her accession to the British throne
- The 2002 FIFA World Cup begins in South Korea and Japan; which is won by Brazil
- BBC 6 Music, the first new BBC Radio station in decades, is launched
Lamsie and the gang are going to be at Maindee Festival next Saturday from 1pm! Our Dale will be covering our show in the studio and we'll be reporting live from the chaos! Be sure to tune in or come and see us at Maindee Fest!