This recipe is for four servings.
- 4-6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick of celery (optional)
- 500g frozen peas
- 1 litre vegetable, pork or chicken stock
- A knob of butter
- A small splash of cooking oil
- Over a low heat cook the chopped bacon in a tiny amount of oil. Let it become golden and crisp before turning it out on a sheet of kitchen paper.
- Melt the butter in a pan and gently cook the onion and celery if you are including them.
- Add the potato and stir to coat it in the butter.
- Add the stock and simmer until the potato is cooked.
- Pour the frozen peas into the pan and bring to the boil. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Take off the heat and use a hand blender or sieve to make the soup smooth.
- Serve in warm bowls and scatter the crispy bacon bits on the top.
I like to add a swirl of fresh cream to the top and a pinch of paprika too.