2 big fat slices of crusty bread or a ciabatta
1 thinly sliced red onion
1 thinly sliced eating apple
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Splash of balsamic vinegar
A big handful of grated cheese (cheddar, Leicester, something like that)
Fresh chopped herbs, (basil, parsley or coriander are ideal)
Salt & pepper
A slug of olive oil
A knob of butter
- Gently heat the olive oil in a pan and add the knob of butter. Let the butter melt but take care not to let it brown.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan and cook gently for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the apple and the brown sugar to the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add a small splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Toast the bread on one side then heap the onion and apple mixture onto the untoasted side.
- Sprinkle on the grated cheese, then some chopped fresh herbs.
- Pop the loaded toast under the grill and cook until the cheese is bubbly and golden.