It feel as though she 'calls out' the individuals that damage Twitter, such as trolls, spammers, snobs, celebrities and always-negative tweeters. And she doesn't hold back, either. Throughout the book, there's a lot of strong language and strong, detailed opinions on these tweeters with every chapter, often mocking them and giving the blunt truth about them.
This may sound a bit off-putting – if you don't like strong language, then this book definitely isn't for you. However, she's one for the few columnists I know that talks sense. She takes the world of Twitter, splits up all the tweeters, puts them into categories and then dissects those tweeters for us to see what's great about Twitter (80% of the book) and what's not great about Twitter (the other 20 percent).
What I love when reading the book is that the author doesn't hold back, giving her absolute, free-speech opinions about the greatness of Twitter, while more often than not, letting us into some of her embarrassing/everyday secrets. If you can tweet about your life like an open, then... well, you may as well write a book people can open. “It's time for us all to come out of the closet about our secret internet chums”, she says - 'chums' meaning the friends and buddies we make on Twitter.
Later in the book, she relates Twitter to the society we live in, delivering the obvious, yet funny, differences between men and women, adding that Twitter is pretty much divided into bantering men and gossiping women, as is life.
Unfortunately, about half way through the book, the author writes pages and pages, going on about how women don't have as much freedom as men. The humour that she kept consistent throughout the book starts to stop and then completely stopped for a whole chapter, before returning back to the subject of Twitter.
If you like and regularly use Twitter, or if you enjoy chic flicks and a light read in the evening, I highly recommend you buy this book, as it's funny and very true in what Grace Dent has to say about social media and society today.